Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Date Night - flat broke student edition

Being a student while working means that I don't always have the $$$ to go out on fancy dates - though, I have to admit, those are few and far between - but neither does it mean that date night has to be any less special. If anything, it becomes opportunity for creativity :)


Thought it might be nice to have a "starving student/part-time working girl" dinner by the water since we'd had such nice weather lately and started crafting this card during my lunch break.



Later on I found out that Richard had had a bad start to his day and figured this'd help cheer him up-- a little bit of joy in the simple and the present in a very David Tanis sense. I had planned on going to Crissy Field but with the heavy rush hour MUNI traffic, we ended up going to the Embarcadero waterfront instead.

I cooked some thrown-together udon at home and then portioned it out into my two trusty 16 oz thermos food containers (my best portable lunch investments ever!) with a fresh egg each.The residual heat from the broth and containers slow poached the eggs as we traveled and when it came time to finally dig in, we both had golden sunsets of luscious yolk in our soup.



Mmmm my mouth waters just thinking about it :)


So while it was a bit chaotic getting downtown, it all worked out. We got to have a wonderful udon dinner overlooking the bay and the Bay Bridge. We watched the sun set and the little fairy lights of the bridge twinkle on. It was absolutely beautiful. 

And all this for practically $0 short of what we'd originally spent on our bus passes and food we would've eaten either way :) 

Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment