Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Le Garage Bistro, Sausalito

We got the chance to visit Le Garage last May. I found out about the place in a slightly unconventional way. I'd been perusing craigslist for food-related jobs in the Bay and saw that they were hiring hosts. I didn't get the job but it did become a place to try on my food bucket list - a list that seems to constantly grow despite my efforts to keep up with crossing items off the list.


The interior space of the bistro looked like a converted garage with its garage doors and their mechanic uniform-clad waiters (who even spoke French! oh my!). But it was done simply enough to not look kitschy or overdone. (Then again, kitsch isn't always a bad thing - as long as done in moderation.) There was also outside seating. It definitely seemed like a great place for brunch and had a great view from both the inside and outside :overlooking the Bay and the sailboat dock. We even did a little sailboat window shopping while waiting for our table to be ready: "I want that one and that one and that one!" Since reading about Blake Mycoskie, the founder of TOMS shoes, and his living on a sailboat, I'm convinced that entrepreneurs and highly creative people live on sailboats. Oh how I wish.

But on to more important things- the food!

I recommend pairing their burger with the great french red (pictured several pictures down) our waiter suggested. I'm more of a white wine person but the Les Abeilles Cotes du Rhône Jean-luc Columbo 1997 went amazing with the melting beefy goodness of their Masami Kobe beef burger. It really did change my mind about red wine. That, and the Beringer Red Moscato my friend Pam had us try last month. Le Garage also prepared their Mussels Marinière well - it was tender and still slightly sweet. I was tickled pink to find I'd pronounced my heavily french order instead of butchering it and am convinced that, even if purely imagined, I am in some small way- French.


 
Masami Kobe beef burger (1/2 lb of Kobe, Morbier cheese, tomatoes, butter lettuce, grilled red onions, aioli on ciabatta) served with fries and aïoli

 
Grilled chicken breast, pistou goat cheese, pequillo peppers, artichoke pesto, & butter lettuce on ciabatta served w/ fries and aïoli

 
Masami Kobe beef burger with a glass of Les Abeilles Cotes du Rhône Jean-luc Columbo 2007


 
P.E.I. Mussels Marinière with white wine, shallots, garlic and parsley


*All photos by Oh Taste & See


No comments:

Post a Comment